Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, August 4, 2023

2020

  What a year, and its effects will not be gone in 2021. Just came back from a long walk (home from work, I have a pretty bad cold and can barely talk) I saw a couple of middle schoolers just hanging out, it was lunch time so they may have very well been in their scheduled break, but right now middle and high schoolers have been hybrid, two days week they are actually in school, and the rest are virtual days. Thank goodness elementary are full time in person. When we do have AMI (alternative method if instruction) aka virtual learning, aka online learning, aka snow days (that's another topic, no more snow days like weve had in the past) Anywhoo, the learning the kids get during this is is limited. They miss out on so much instruction and education when at home. They don't do their best work. I know some parents say their kiddos are doing great, its amazing for them and that may be true. But in my opinion there is no substitute for an in classroom education. SO  many opportunities for teachers to do fun experiments, or fun ways of teaching have been lost. Not that I haven't seen creative ways with virtual, I just think in the long run what will the effects be on our kids in the end. 

  But on a positive note, we have learned a lot from covid. Companies letting their employees work from home, see how productive they can still be and may be a way for people to permanently work. Which from people around me love the idea of no longer commuting and having more time to get household chores done. Less stress I guess. We learned how much humans can adapt to change. I honestly loved slowing down. Keep in mind I'm and introvert.  But honestly the staying home didn't bother me too much.... well I guess that's looking back almost a year later lol! I did go a bit stir crazy we all did, we would get bored here and there, and playing with friends was such a should we, should we not, daily... but we eventually figured it out. But not having to work during the day, rush home to cook dinner, then to get kids to and from soccer, gymnastics or girl scouts was honestly sooooo very nice!! Family time was the best, and the hustle and bustle was gone causing less stress in our time together. So out of all things that is what I enjoyed most. I hope that the world can slow down a bit. Oh and I hope that concert, and stadiums will not allow so many people in at once so that we can enjoy the experiences, I hate going to sporting events when I'm basically sitting on a strangers lap, or their shoulder is completely touching mine. Let 2020 show us that we need PERSONAL SPACE!

  Once summer hit schools decided to have summer school and so did my job. So we went back to normal, girls went to school, I went to work. And once Fall came it was the same, do we go to school or do virtual? We have already been in school and I felt it was safe enough, they wore masks all day, they stayed in their rooms and were not allowed to mingle with other classes, which again was so hard for kiddos who had friends in other classes they could no longer have a friendship at school in a way. So that was hard on the girls. The school year is coming into 4th quarter, its crazy how much the year has flown. But so odd I have not stepped in their building once, have never met their teacher face to face, met their classmates. I hate myself for complaining about going to school functions or parties, because that is now no longer even an option for parents to be apart of. 


 This draft above this was written at that time and now it is 2023 when I am getting around to actually posting it. 2020 seemed to bring on teacher flight, lots of schools having issues with keeping their teachers. I was/am truly grateful for our educators, they have a tough job. I despise when other says it's an easy job and they have so much time off. It is a very stressful and difficult job to educate and that time off is essential and some of that time they are actually working. These humans spend most of their week with your kid trying to do their best to educate them, with the stressors of parents, administrators , state testing, workshops, all the things with not the best pay, I can see why they are leaving. Oh and not to mention SCHOOL SHOOTINGS.

  Girls are now going into 7th and 5th grade. Soph rocked the first year of middle school. That is quite the transition and I feel I worried more than she did. It is a true marker of kids learning independence. She thrived in that environment and really showed how much she has grown. She set her alarm and woke up at 6:05am had her breakfast and allowed her time to wake up an relax before getting off to school.Did not need us at all. It was great. Grades were great, met new friends, it was a great year. 


 Brooke is going into her last year of elementary! She is quick to tell you she can't wait to be a parent so she can do whatever she wants, point being she does NOT like school. She does very well in school, she loves her friends, however does not like the teaching and the kiddos in school who annoy her. So shocking because younger Brooke loved school very much. Oh well we tell her, you have a lot more of it so buckle up and enjoy it because when you become a parent/adult you do NOT get to do whatever you want. It's a trick they say, don't grow up. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment